In this blogpost you will find some fun facts about Dubai! The city that has started as a desert and became the shopping center of the Middle East in less than 50 years!
Things you didn’t know about Dubai
- The name Dubai comes from ‘Do Buy‘, because of the large amount of shopping malls.
- Expo 2020 will take place in here. Because of this upcoming big event, they are building metro lines, airports, shopping malls and skyscrapers.
- Dubai became a country in 1971, so it is almost 50 years old!
- For the historian among us, some important dates:
– 1978 the first skyscraper was build (which is still there), this was the start to build this impressive city.
– 1999 they started building the Burj al Arab. The most luxurious 7 * hotel in the world
– 2009, all metro lines were officially opened
– 2004 they started a huge project. Dubai wanted to build the highest building in the world. The Burj Khalifa was opened in 2010 as part of a new development called Downtown Dubai (828m) It is speculated that in South Arabia they are building a new ‘Khalifa’, which will be up to 1000 m high! Furthermore, Dubai itself is going to try to break their own record with their latest project ‘ Harbor creek tower’. This tower will be 1200 meters high!
- 20% of the population are Emerati, which are the original population. They enjoy many benefits as they receive housing and shelter from the government and do not have to pay taxes on their income. I already hear you thinking, let’s immigrate! It is not that easy, as a foreigner you can never become an Emerati. This is only possible if both parents are 100% Emerati.
- Would you like to start a business here? Then you first have to find an Emerati who wants to support you and gives you approval.
- Dubai mainly depends on tourism and not anymore on the oil industry!
- About 24% of the world’s cranes are currently operating in Dubai
For more information about Dubai or the highlights in Dubai, check our other blogposts!