Never heard of Homeboat Nieuwpoort before? For us it was also a new, but very interesting type of accommodation. Glamping as they say with a funky term. We stayed in the only Homeboat in Europe which is located in West Flanders, Nieuwpoort. This municipality brings back good memories. Since I was 2 years old I spend almost every summer here for 22 years. You can tell I was very curious about this new glamping spot!
Our stay in Homeboat Nieuwpoort, Glamping loft on the water
What exactly is a Homeboat?
Let’s make one thing clear, a homeboat is not the same as a houseboat. This Homeboat is a concept of the 2 owners who are passionate about it. This Homeboat is an innovative concept based on an apartment built on a Catamaran. The construction of the catamaran is especially developed so the boat is very stable. In bad weather conditions the Homeboat will be glissing over the water. This Homeboat is classified as 4 * accommodation by Tourism Flanders.
Dit bericht bekijken op Instagram
I LIKE MY MORNINGS BRIGHT AND COSY ✨❤️? ➳ Nieuwpoort is my second home town since I was 2 years old ? This time we stayed at the extraordinary homeboat, which was a totally different experience ??? A true home coming feeling ? #dekust #toerismewestvlaanderen #nieuwpoort #westtoer #hetlekkerewesten #homeboatnieuwpoort
Not only luxurious and unique but also eco friendly!
Both modern and ecological standards are met. The Homeboat is constructed as an almost passive house with its high isolation standards, modern heat pump heating/cooling system, LED lights and electric devices with the best eco labels. The accomodation has also a freshwater tank with normal heating pumping station as reservoir.
Our personal experience
They define the concept of the Homeboat as ‘glamping‘ which defines a luxury stay in a special atmosphere or a special type of accommodation. The perfect description to show what kind of feeling you get in the Homeboat. You are completely surrounded by water, tranquility and privacy.
The advantages of staying in the Homeboat:
- Completely surrounded by water and nature
- An exclusive accommodation
- Almost passive house with a modern interior
These aspects are very unique and will not be encountered in an average hotel room.
This pretty glamping accommodation is suitable for young and old, but we can say that the Homeboat Nieuwpoort is designed for an audience that loves peace and luxury. Everything is provided for 4 people, like in a modern apartment. The total area is 46 m2 with a outdoor terrace of 30 m2 on the roof where you can enjoy the 270° view over the Nieuwpoort waters and plains. All rooms are practically equipped for the elderly and there is a staircase to the terrace. We found this a very nice and unique accommodation for a couple to escape from the daily routine and unwind.
What about the price?
130-195 € per night, but if you chose to stay longer than 1 month you get a 20% discount! Be sure to keep an eye on all promotions, because they often do promotions!
How to get there?
Homeboat Nieuwpoort is very easy to access by car, as it is only 9 kilometers from the highway. You can also easily park your car nearby the Homeboat.
The nearest train station is Ostende, which is only at 18 km from the HouseBoat.
If you need to take a plane, the best option is to land at Ostend airport, which is about 17 km from Homeboat Nieuwpoort.
Activities in the direct neighbourhood?
Nieuwpoort is by far my favorite town at the seaside because of the long beach where you can walk to Oostduinkerke, the nice shops, the ferry to Lombardsijde-bad, the luxurious harbor and the nice atmosphere.
Great attractions to discover in Nieuwpoort
- Be sure to go to the walking- and cycling promenade along the Havengeul. This promenade connects the North Sea & the Marina and is about 2 km long.
- Couples with children should definitely visit the children’s Farm De Lenspolder. In my childhood I went there every week so I still have a lot of good memories of the children’s farm.
- The Nieuwpoort marina with its 3 yacht clubs and about 2000 berths is the largest marina in Northern Europe. This can be combined with the walking- and cycling promenade!
Sport activities in Nieuwpoort
- Nature reserve De IJzermonding is quite unique in Belgium with its specific fauna and flora of mudflats, salt marshes, dunes, beach and polders. You can take the ferry from Nieuwpoort to the other side of the IJzer (which is free of charge). Hikers and cyclists can enjoy themselves to the fullest!
- Beach sailing is a must-do if you are a bit more sporty. So you see at low tide many surfboards on wheels on the beaches. In Nieuwpoort you can visit Wishbone to take lessons or rent equipment.
- If you prefer to be on the water, you can try other fun water sports such as windsurfing, kayaking and sailing.
Cultural excursions in Nieuwpoort
- Nieuwpoort is very popular because of its ‘war tourism’ with famous monuments like The Ninth Wave by Edith Dekyndt, Men of Nina Beier,…
- Other monuments and works of art such as Le vent souffle où il veut by Daniel Buren and De Poolreiziger by Freddy Cappon.
- Under the impressive King Albert I monument in honor of the victims of the World War I, lies the West Front. This is the place where the course of the German invasion of Belgium in 1914 is marked. Here is also a visitor centre where you can fully immerse yourself in the history of the war.
- Via the Ganzenpoot, the harbour channel is connected with 6 other traffic directions.
TIP: We did a nice boat trip with the local organization Flanders Tours which was organised by the amazing Dirk. A man, who is also the founder, with an enormous passion for the region. He will show you all around Nieuwpoort and its surroundings. Flanders Tours organizes excursions and boat trips especially for a targeted audience and in small groups. If you book an excursion with him, say ‘Hi’ from Lesley & Yannick!
Good and hip restaurants and bars in Nieuwpoort, for leaking thumbs and fingers
The Homeboat Nieuwpoort is completely comparable to a fully equipped apartment, which also means that food is not included in the price. Breakfast is provided and brought to the Homeboat whenever you want it. A basket with fresh pistolets, croissants and local products we don’t say ‘no’ to that! If you need some inspiration for nice bars and restaurants, you can find them here!
Homeboat Brugsevaart 48, 8620 Nieuwpoort Phone: +32 471 06 79 97 or Flanders Tours +32 (0)471 54 64 28 Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://homeboat.eu or http://rental.homeboat.eu
In this blog, we used the following material:
If you buy something through one of these links, you support our blog!