The sunrise hike on the Hochkogel in Saalbach was our personal highlight. Watching the sun rise between the mountains, awakening on a fluffy cloud bed. It is almost impossible to describe .
4 o’clock, Good morning this morning (Sunrise hike Saalbach)!
You read it correctly, at 4 o’clock in the morning we were ready to leave for our sunrise hike. It was pretty painful to get up so early, but it was totally worth it!
Hochkogel, here we come!
The Hochkogel, a mountain in the Austrian Saalbach which is 2,249 m high and is perfect for enjoying a magical sunrise. We ‘cheated’ a bit, as the local farmer brought us up to 3/4th of the mountain with his car . There is an asphalted road, which runs almost to the top, but it is owned by some Saalbach farmers. Normally you can not drive all the way up, unless you can arrange something with the local farmer .
Who wants to do the whole hike must take the Schattberg X-Press, via Marxtenscharte and Seetörl to Hochkogel. The entire walk takes about 3 hours one way.
After the effort comes the breathtaking view! Of course, the weather conditions are a determining factor for visibility. So keep an eye on the weather forecasts, otherwise your hike can turn into a ‘bummer’. We were very lucky with the weather and were blown away by the view. The peaks are surrounded by the morning mist and the clouds. It was almost magical!
If you want more practical information, you can find it here.
- a decent basic condition is acquired if you want to do the entire hike (about 6 hours there and back)
- if you only do the end of the hike, it is doable for everyone
- Sturdy walking boots and waterproofs are essential, sun-protection, sunglasses, food and drink are highly recommended!
- check the weather forecasts in advance
- a warm sweater and coat are recommended, especially if you stand still for a bit longer
- find out how to photograph a sunrise so you definitely have the golden shot!
- lamp/petsel so that you have both hands free
- plan how long you will be hiking, so you will not arrive too late. We always try to be about 30 minutes in advance, so you can take all the preparations for the sunrise
- always hike with a second person for safety
Extra praktical tip:
- Ascent/descent with all lifts free of charge with JOKER CARD!
Sunrise hike to Tristkogel
The Tristkogel at 2,095 meters above sea level is one of the impressive summits of the region. This sunrise hike was initially organized, but our guide told us that this walk is no longer being organized. On the one hand because the landscape changes all the time and is not always safe anymore. On the other hand because this hike is very ‘advanced’. With its steep slopes and long climb, this is certainly not for dummies .
This blog post was in collaboration with Saalbach Hinterglemm.